Love in Literature Template

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Color

My Dear Husband,

Since you've been back at AIT, things have been different. I can see you and talk to you every day, now. Skype has been a heaven send for me. To see your face and hear your voice every day is wonderful, even when the connection is bad and we spend those precious minutes squinting at each other and stating, intelligently, "Huh?"

It is also more difficult in some ways. When I was waiting for letters, that was a special kind of torture. I never knew when I'd hear from you and, in a way, was able to just go on with things because hearing from you was so unlikely on a day to day basis. Now, because I know roughly when you will call, everything stops around that time and I don't do anything so that I can be near the computer. In some ways, it makes the time move by slower.

The difference is, it makes the time sweeter and more bearable.

Seeing you in your uniform makes me smile. It looks good on you and you wear it well. It's just a shame that I don't get to see you in person while you wear it.

Standing next to you when you're in uniform makes me the proudest wife in the world. Standing next to you when you aren't wearing it, but knowing you wear it just below the surface, makes me secretly the proudest wife in the world.

We're trudging along in the final stretch. We won't touch each other again until you're done. Graduated. Officially official. Each day brings us closer to when you'll be home. Every minute. Every second. There's a poignancy to everything that was never there before we were separated.

I think it's strangely appropriate that you left just as fall was winding up and winter was so close on its heels. Everything was changing and, eventually, dying.

The cold months have been empty and gray.

Christmas was a burst of color and joy.

Valentine's too.

When you are home, the vibrancy and potency of my life comes back.

I think it's also appropriate that you will be coming home as things warm up and life comes back to everything. I keep looking for the signs of Spring because I know that so soon after the world gets its color back, I will too.

I love you, Soldier Boy.

Yours,

Girly